Friday, May 6, 2011

Heavy Metal (Dismantling 1 Ton of Steel)

Ever wonder how to lower steel beams without killing yourself? I did, because there was a big steel structure in the entryway of our loft and I wanted to dismantle it. It created a diagonal break in the space that interfered with my space plan. It was built by a prior tenant and was not load-bearing, so removal won't affect the loft's structural integrity. However, lowering wide-flange steel beams that are 13 feet up in the air is not an easy proposition for a one-man team. The beams are W8x13 and are each 22 feet long. There are also 6 tube steel columns and 9 struts. In total, the steel I had to move weighed almost one ton.
A job like this calls for a hoist, or some sort of Medieval pulley system. I decided to use a Contractor's Superlift - a telescoping hoist that allows one person to lift and lower big, heavy things.
First I unbolted and removed the struts - some had welded connections at the beams and required cutting with a carborundum-blade grinder. To dismantle the beams, I cranked the Superlift up to support the beam from below, then I unbolted them from the columns. Once they were unbolted, I cranked the lift arm up, moved the beam off the column, and lowered it to the ground.
The columns were more difficult because they were bolted to the floor. The bolts required me to lift the columns up and off the bolts, like a Scottish log thrower, which was not easy because the columns were up to 14 feet tall.  The job took 6 hours and required a 20' extension ladder, angle grinder, sawzall, hammer, and socket wrenches. When I was done, I had 1 ton of steel scrap and a newly open floorspace to work with.

Final Stats
Cost: Ratchet, 24mm&27mm Sockets, 8" Socket Extension = $45
          10" & 12" Crescent Wrenches = $26
          4" Carborundum Blade = $2.50
          20' Extension Ladder = $160
Difficulty: Hard (requires strength, poses danger)

1 comment:

  1. Wait, hold on a second. You did that project with some socket wrenches , carborundum blade and a lift. That is insane. I don't think I could do that project with a group of friends. Very inspiring for the DIY in all of us. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete